Shiptech is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.
Hosted by Arab Women in Maritime Association (AWIMA)
We are delighted to announce the AWIMA Session "To What Extent Does Women Empowerment Benefit the Industry?" taking place during Seatrade ShipTech Middle East.
Tuesday 24 September, 1515 - 1715 | Joharah Ballroom, Madinat Jumeirah
1515 – 1525
- Welcome Speech
Eng. Hessa Al Malek, Executive Director of Maritime Transport, Federal Transport Association
1525 – 1545
- Presentation about AWIMA and its main objectives
1545 – 1615
- The IMO has chosen “Empowering Women in the Maritime Community” as its theme for 2019 which has been widely discussed in the industry. What are some of the tangible actions / initiatives that have been made by the local community regarding empowering Arab women in the Maritime industry?
- International efforts vs Local efforts – in comparison to the global market, where does the local maritime community stand in terms of women empowerment and achieving the goals set by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 5 (SDG 5) of creating equal opportunities for women?
1615 – 1645
- Maritime Education is a topic of interest in the industry, and more maritime personnel are paying attention to its significance. This session will discuss:
- What can be done to make the presence of women in the maritime education sector stronger (locally and regionally)?
- What has already been done in this sector, with examples of successful female maritime educators/ scholars?
- Looking at career development for women. What are some of the government efforts to support the SDG5 - to help create an environment in which women are identified and selected for career development opportunities in maritime administrations, ports and maritime training institutes?
- Aligning the maritime community with the business market latest trends; smart technologies have been heavily incorporated into the maritime industry. Are women being given the opportunity to be trained on the smart technologies sector of the maritime industry?
1645 – 1715
- In comparison to last year, is there now more conversation about gender equality in the community? Does the local community hold the same stereotypes it held a year ago?
- The UAE is considered the business hub of the Arab world, and it is evolving with each passing day. How can the involvement of women in the workforce benefit the private business sector in the maritime industry?
- Closing remarks and recommendations
1715 – 1800
Reserve Your Place
Join the Conversation at Seatrade ShipTech Middle East
An AWIMA delegate pass is your access key to the the full conference agenda at Seatrade ShipTech Middle East 2019.